Chunky Artichoke-y Salad
Artichoke hearts take center-stage in this salad, enhanced by crunchy sweet bell peppers and briny olives. Serve as is or on top of a bed of greens like arugula or chopped watercress.
- 3, (9-ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts (thawed)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (from about 1 lemon)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons no-sodium Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups finely sliced basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp chopped black olives
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 1 seeded, chopped red bell pepper
- 1 medium tomato (chopped)
Cooking Tip: No time to thaw the artichoke hearts? Just cook them a little longer—up to 5 more minutes of simmering time.
Keep it Healthy: Using frozen artichoke hearts versus the marinated canned ones cuts down on a tremendous amount of sodium.
Tip: Finely chopping the artichokes, along with the other ingredients, turns this into a divine yet healthy dip to serve with pita chips.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Prepare the artichoke hearts: Add artichoke hearts to a heavy-duty medium pot with 3 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium-high, and let artichokes simmer until fully cooked and warm, about 5 minutes. Drain artichokes in a colander and run cold water over them to cool. Drain very thoroughly.
- 2 Meanwhile, in a large serving bowl, add oil, lemon juice, Italian seasoning, mustard, salt, and pepper. Whisk together with a fork.
- 3 Into the bowl, add artichoke hearts into the dressing. Stir to combine.
- 4 Add remaining ingredients into the bowl: sliced basil leaves, chopped olives, onion, chopped bell pepper, and chopped tomato. Stir together to combine. Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator for a few hours and serve.
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:Purchase Cooking in Color Copyright © 2018 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood Every purchase helps fund the work of the AHA/ASA.
|Total Fat||9.9 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.7 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2.7 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||6.1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||15.7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||10.2 g|
2 fat, 3 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Chunky Artichoke-y Salad has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box