Roasted Root Vegetables with Tomatoes and Kale
The sweet caramelization of roasted vegetables get a hit of acidity from tomatoes and a touch of bitterness from kale. Baby kale is used in this recipe; if using regular kale, remove the stems or chop the stems very well to incorporate.
- 2 cups peeled and finely chopped carrots (about 6 to 7 medium)
- 2 cups peeled and finely chopped parsnips (about 3)
- 2 cups chopped turnips (about 1 1/3 medium)
- 2 Tbsp canola oil (divided)
- 1 head garlic
- 2 (5-ounce) containers baby kale
- 1, (28-ounce) can no-salt-added tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Cooking Tip: Roasting vegetables can have a variety of different uses. They can be mixed into greens for a winter take on salad, stirred into scrambled eggs, or even puréed together to turn into a dip.
Keep it Healthy: Rutabagas, celery root, and potatoes are other root vegetables that can be diced and used in the recipe, as long as the raw vegetables total 7 cups.
Tip: Roasting a head of garlic mellows out the garlic flavor and is a great trick to add flavor to any dish.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- 2 Prepare the vegetables: peel and finely chop the carrots; peel and finely chop the parsnips; and chop the turnips.
- 3 Prepare a large rimmed baking sheet (or two medium ones) by lining it with foil and coating with cooking spray. Break the garlic head into cloves; leave garlic cloves unpeeled and add to a corner of the baking pan. Add all the vegetables to the remainder of the sheet. Drizzle vegetables with 1 tablespoon oil and use a spatula to gently toss vegetables to coat.
- 4 Roast vegetables in oven until soft and fully cooked, around 40 minutes, shaking the pan once midway through the cooking process. (Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the vegetable pieces.)
- 5 When the vegetables are out of the oven, prepare the tomato mixture. Warm remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add half of 1 container of kale into the pot, stirring until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Repeat with remaining kale until all of it is wilted.
- 6 Stir in the diced tomatoes, water, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer and let the tomatoes warm; stir in the roasted vegetables.
- 7 Squeeze out the roasted garlic pulp from the garlic (make sure to use pot holders or paper towels if too hot), discarding any small cloves that blackened. Roughly chop the roasted garlic and stir into the tomato mixture. Let cook another minute or 2 before removing from heat to serve.
|Total Fat||8.1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.7 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2.4 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||4.6 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||39.4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9.2 g|
1 1/2 fat, 1 starch, 5 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Roasted Root Vegetables with Tomatoes and Kale has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box