Shrimp Mushroom and Asparagus Stir Fry with Couscous
With just a 10-minute cooking time that’s not even on the stovetop, couscous deserves space as a pantry staple. This meal is overflowing with shrimp, portobello mushrooms, and asparagus but other stir-fry favorites like snow peas and sliced water chestnuts could also be incorporated and need a cooking time of just a couple minutes.
- 2 large cleaned, cut into 1-inch pieces portobello mushrooms
- 1 bunch asparagus spears (cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 1 tablespoon fresh, minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons fresh, minced garlic
- 1 lb large shrimp (peeled and deveined, tail removed)
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp 100% orange juice
- 3/4 cup dry couscous
- 1/2 cup scallions
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 3 teaspoons canola oil (divided)
- 1 cup frozen peas
Cooking Tip: The key to a stir-fry is to chop all the ingredients in advance. A stir-fry is cooked very quickly, so there’s no time to pause to finish chopping.
Keep it Healthy: Portobellos are a hearty mushroom that many think can make an adequate substitute for meat. So consider the portobello as a meat fill-in for upcoming meals-whether grilling it whole to use like a burger or stuffing it with grains and vegetables.
Tip: Can't find cleaned shrimp? Use kitchen shears to quickly prepare them-simply cut through the shell lengthwise from the top of the shrimp down to both devein the shrimp and help remove the shell all in one swoop.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Prepare the vegetables: Clean the portobello mushrooms by removing and discarding each stem. Use a spoon to scrape the black gills from the underside of each mushroom; discard gills. Slice each mushroom into 1-inch pieces. Snap the ends off each asparagus spear and cut into 2-inch pieces. Next, peel and mince the ginger; mince the garlic too.
- 2 Prepare the shrimp by peeling, deveining, and removing the tails. Prepare the sauce by mixing the 1/3 cup water, sesame oil, soy sauce, and orange juice into a small bowl.
- 3 Bring 1 cup of water to a boil either in a teapot or in the microwave. Add couscous and scallions into a medium bowl. Stir in the boiling water and top with a lid or cover with foil. Let sit at least 10 minutes.
- 4 Meanwhile, warm 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick pan or wok over high heat. Add mushrooms; stir and saute; just briefly, about 2 minutes. Add asparagus; saute, stirring constantly, until mostly tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in peas, cooking 1 to 2 minutes until warm. Remove from heat and transfer vegetables to a plate.
- 5 Warm 2 teaspoons oil again in pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add ginger and garlic, stirring constantly and cooking until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add shrimp, sauteing constantly until the shrimp are almost fully cooked, about 2 minutes. Pour in the soy sauce mixture along with reserved vegetables, quickly stirring together to combine. Remove from heat.
- 6 Use fork to fluff the couscous. Serve stir-fry over the couscous.
|Total Fat||11.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||4.2 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||5.1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||38.9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6.4 g|
3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Shrimp Mushroom and Asparagus Stir Fry with Couscous has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box