Mexican Chicken Soup
This Simple Cooking with Heart Mexican chicken soup recipe is a spicy twist on an old classic.
It serves six and only takes 20 minutes to make!
Every serving is filled with delicious chicken and veggies.
- 1 14.5- oz. canned, no-salt-added, or, low-sodium kernel corn (drained, rinsed)
- 1 15.5- oz. no-salt-added, or, low-sodium kidney beans (drained, rinsed)
- 2 tsp. canola oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium bell pepper (red or green), chopped
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 medium diced, seeded jalapeño (remove seeds to reduce spice/heat)
- 2 clove garlic (minced) OR
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 5 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1.5 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (all visible fat discarded, cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 large tomato (diced)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Drain beans and corn in colander, rinse, set aside.
- 2 Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add bell pepper, onion and jalapeno; cook 5-7 minutes, stirring often until vegetables are tender. Stir in garlic and cumin and cook another minute.
- 3 Add broth to saucepan, increase heat to high, and bring to rapid simmer. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink, about 5 min. Stir in beans, corn, tomato and cilantro, cover and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes, top with extra cilantro leaves (optional) and serve hot.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||5..0 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||27 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|
4 lean meat, 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Mexican Chicken Soup has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box