Old-Fashioned Vegetable-Barley Soup
Filled with chewy barley and a variety of vegetables, this speedy entrée soup is perfect for a light vegetarian lunch or dinner on a chilly day.
- cooking spray
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 medium rib of celery
- 1 medium garlic clove (minced)
- 14.5 oz. canned, no-salt-added, diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup uncooked, quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil (crumbled)
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano (crumbled)
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbsp. shredded, or, grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. shredded, or, grated Parmesan cheese
Tip: Serving size 1 1/4 cups
Cook’s Tip: Look for bags of washed and chopped kale in the produce section of your supermarket.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Lightly spray a large Dutch oven with cooking spray. Add the oil, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the onion and celery over medium-high heat until golden, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for 10 seconds. Stir in the remaining ingredients except the Parmesan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the barley is cooked.
- 2 Ladle into soup bowls. Sprinkle with the Parmesan.
This recipe is reprinted with permission from Heart-Healthy Recipes, Copyright © 2011 by the American Heart Association. Published by Krames StayWell, LLC. Look for Heart-Healthy Recipes at ShopHeart.org.
|Total Fat||2.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||24 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
1 starch, 2 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Old-Fashioned Vegetable-Barley Soup has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box