Butternut Squash Pasta - Delicious Decisions
The flavor of sage marries perfectly with any type of winter squash. In this hearty dish, the green sugar snap peas provide a striking visual contrast to the bright orange butternut squash.
- 8 oz dried, whole-grain spaghetti
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash (cut into 1/4-inch cubes)
- 1 cup fat-free, low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cups trimmed, halved sugar snap peas
- 2 Tbsp chopped, fresh sage
- 1/4 cup shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
Tip: Serving size 1 cup pasta and 3/4 cup squash mixture
When choosing a butternut squash for this recipe, look for one that has a longer neck. The neck is easier to peel and chop since it doesn’t have any seeds.
Cooking Tip: Some winter squash, such as butternut, are difficult to cut when raw. To make the job easy, pierce the squash several times with a fork and place the squash on a microwaveable plate. Microwave on 100 percent power (high) for 1 to 2 minutes. Let the squash stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Using a large, sturdy knife, cut off the stem end, then cut lengthwise from the stem end through the root end. Using a spoon, scoop out and discard the seeds and strings.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Prepare the pasta using the package directions, omitting the salt. Drain well in a colander. Set aside.
- 2 In a large skillet, stir together the squash, broth, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 3 Stir in the peas. Return to a simmer and simmer for 7 to 10 minutes, or until the squash is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- 4 Stir in the sage. Serve the squash mixture over the pasta. Sprinkle with the Parmesan.
This recipe is reprinted with permission from American Heart Association Go Fresh. Copyright © 2014 by the American Heart Association. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, a division of Random House, Inc. Available from booksellers everywhere.
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:Go Fresh
|Total Fat||3.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||59 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g|
3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Butternut Squash Pasta - Delicious Decisions has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box