Apple and Walnut Chicken Salad with Green Salad
This delicious no-cook Simple Cooking with Heart recipe is a combination of two salads. It's fresh, sweet, crunchy and creamy and is a satisfying lunch or a light dinner entrée.
- 1/4 cup fat-free, plain yogurt
- 2 Tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp salt-free, dried Italian spice blend or dried thyme, dried basil or both combined
- 2 cups skinless, shredded chicken breast of a rotisserie-cooked chicken OR
- 20 oz canned, salt-free white meat chicken (drained)
- 3 Tbsp chopped, unsalted, uncoiled walnuts (or whatever nuts are on sale)
- 1/2 cup halved, seedless grapes OR
- sugar-free, dried fruit like prunes or cranberries
- 1 red (sweeter) or green (more tart) apple, finely chopped
- 1 head lettuce (green leaf, red leaf or romaine), cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 chopped cucumber (chopped, peeled if desired)
- 1 large tomato (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 1 Tbsp red vinegar, white vinegar, or lemon juice
Cooking Tip: If you like sweetness, grab a red apple; if sour-tart is more your thing, pick a green one. Also, chopped apples will turn brown very quickly, but the yogurt in the chicken salad will stop this from happening.
Keep it Healthy: Combining a little light mayonnaise with no-fat yogurt is a great way for a delicious and still tasty salad.
Tip: When nuts are on sale, buy more than needed and store in a sealable bag in the freezer to keep fresh.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||13.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||5.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||5.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||18 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Apple and Walnut Chicken Salad with Green Salad has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box