This recipe is a classic and traditional Southern-American black-eyed pea salad that's full of flavor and fresh vegetables.
- 30 ounces canned, reduced-sodium black-eyed peas (drained, rinsed)
- 2 green onions ((green part only), thinly sliced)
- 1 ear of corn (cut off cob) OR
- 1 cup fresh, frozen corn (thawed)
- 1 small bell pepper, yellow or red, seeded, stems discarded, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 3 fresh jalapeño peppers (seeded, diced)
- 2 cups tomatoes (diced) OR
- 14.5 canned, no-salt-added, diced tomatoes
- 3 clove fresh garlic (minced) OR
- 3 teaspoons jarred, minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- fresh, ground black pepper (to taste)
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a medium bowl, combine the black-eyed peas, green onions, corn, bell pepper, cilantro, jalapenos, tomatoes, and garlic.
- 2 In a separate bowl whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, zest, and cumin. Pour over vegetables, add salt and pepper and toss together until vegetables are coated completely oil blend. Best if chilled for 2-3 hours.
- 3 Serve as a side dish or with whole grain pita chips.
Copyright © 2018 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood
|Total Fat||4.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||23 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Texas Caviar has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box