Zippy Southwest Chicken Fajita Salad
This Simple Cooking with Heart, American Southwest salad is a terrific lunch or dinner option when you have leftover chicken in your refrigerator.
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- 1/2 small onion (diced, )
- 1 chopped jalapeño (seeds can be removed to be milder), (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp lime or lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups chopped chicken from leftover Salmon or Chicken Kabobs (refer to related recipes)
- 16 oz packaged, frozen bell pepper and onion stir-fry (thawed)
- 15.5 oz canned, no-salt-added, or, low-sodium black beans (drained, rinsed)
- 3/4 salt-free chili powder
- 1 chopped head lettuce (green leaf, red leaf or romaine)
- 2 whole-wheat tortillas (halved, optional)
Cooking Tip: If you like spicy food, use 2 jalapeños in the pico de gallo and also keep the seeds in the jalapenos. Also, homemade pico de gallo is easy to make and much tastier than canned.
Keep it Healthy: Any other vegetables on sale can be used like avocado, cucumber, scallions, or canned green chiles.
Tip: If you can’t find frozen onions and bell peppers, substitute with low-sodium canned or frozen corn.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visitheart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||5.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||29 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Zippy Southwest Chicken Fajita Salad has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box