These great-tasting turkey-stuffed peppers make a great meal! And get a heart-healthy serving of brown rice in each one.
- 4 bell peppers (any color)
- 3/4 lb. lean, ground turkey
- 1/2 medium onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 14.5 oz. canned, no-salt-added, diced tomatoes
- 1 clove fresh, minced garlic (or 1 teaspoon garlic minced from jar)
- 1 tsp. reduced-sodium Italian seasoning (lowest sodium available)
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (for spiciness), (optional)
- 8 oz. canned, no-salt-added tomato sauce
Tip: 1 stuffed pepper per serving
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook rice to package instructions (omitting salt). While the rice is cooking, in skillet over medium heat, brown the turkey. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes more (until onion becomes translucent).
- 2 Wash the bell peppers and remove the tops, seeds and membranes. Set peppers in a 9x9 baking dish or line them up in a loaf pan, so they stand upright.
- 3 In a medium mixing bowl, mix turkey, rice, tomato, garlic, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Spoon into each pepper. Spoon tomato sauce evenly over the top of the 4 peppers. Bake 1 hour in the oven, until peppers are tender.
© 2013 American Heart Association
|Total Fat||1.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||34 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|
1 starch, 3 vegetable, 3 lean meat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Stuffed Peppers has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box