Peach and Tomato Salad
This Simple Cooking with Heart recipe is inspired by the Italian panzanella salad, which combines tomatoes, bread, and basil—except in this version, peaches are a delicious stand-in for the bread.
- 4 medium peaches OR
- 30 oz. canned peach halves, in light syrup or packed in their own juice
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced into wedges, salt-free
- 1 small red onion (chopped)
- 1 bunch fresh basil (washed)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 3/4 Tbsp. red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
Cooking Tip: Many people use a cutting technique called a chiffonade to thinly slice basil leaves: stack 4 to 6 basil leaves on top of each other and roll them up. Then, use a knife to thinly cut them into thin ribbons.
Keep it Healthy: Because the natural juices in both the tomatoes and peaches add liquid to any salad, this Peach and Tomato Salad is also good topped over lettuce—no dressing for the lettuce is required.
Tip: During the summer when peaches are in season, buying fresh peaches can be cheaper. During the winter months, canned peaches are a better deal.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Halve each peach, removing and discarding each pit. Slice each peach into thin wedges for about 4 cups of peaches. (If using canned peaches, drain and rinse the peaches in each can and then slice each half into the thin wedges.) Add peaches into a large bowl.
- 2 Cut each tomato in half, removing the stem from each one and discarding it. Slice each tomato into wedges for around 4 cups of tomatoes. Add into the bowl with the peaches.
- 3 Chop one red onion. Add into the bowl with the peaches and tomatoes.
- 4 Thinly slice the basil leaves or tear the leaves into pieces for 1 cup basil. Add to the bowl along with salt, pepper, oil, and vinegar. Gently stir to combine the ingredients. Serve.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||5.8 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.8 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.8 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||3.8 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||22 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
1 fat, 1 fruit, 1 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Peach and Tomato Salad has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box