Meatloaf with Black-Eyed Peas
Check out this Simple Cooking with Heart recipe featuring the ultimate American comfort food: meatloaf served with black-eyed peas -- a hearty-healthy side from the South.
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 1 medium bell pepper (any color), finely chopped
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 clove minced, fresh garlic OR
- 1 tsp. jarred, minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. fat-free, skim milk
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1.5 lb. extra-lean, fat-free ground turkey (95% or 99% lean) (can substitute extra lean ground beef or pork)
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 8 oz. canned, no-salt-added tomato sauce (divided use)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. cider vinegar
- non-stick Cooking spray
Tip: Make mini-loaf by baking in muffin tins. These individual sized mini-loaves are great for freezing, fun for kids, or a great alternative if you’re in a rush because they only cook for half the time!
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2 Place onions and bell pepper in a glass 9x5 loaf pan, drizzle with oil and toss to coat.
- 3 Cover loaf pan with a plate and microwave on high for 3 minutes (NOTE: if you are using a metal loaf pan do NOT put it in the microwave!). Allow vegetables to cool slightly.
- 4 In a medium bowl, combine vegetables, minced garlic, milk, oats, turkey meat, eggs, mustard, 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce, pepper and parsley - mix well with hands.
- 5 Spray loaf pan with cooking spray. Shape meat mixture into loaf and place in loaf pan.
- 6 In the medium bowl, mix remainder of tomato sauce and cider vinegar, pour over loaf.
- 7 Bake for 50-60 minutes until internal thermometer reads 165 for poultry and 160 for beef or pork. Let stand for 5-10 minutes and slice.
Copyright © 2017 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:Sodium Smart Recipe Magazine Copyright © 2017 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood
|Total Fat||3.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||31 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|
|Added Sugars||0 g|
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Meatloaf with Black-Eyed Peas has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box