Tuscan Bean Soup
Healthy greens and beans add a flavorful punch to this easy soup recipe.
For information on women and heart disease, visit Go Red for Women. (Link opens in a new window)
- 1 tsp. olive oil (extra virgin preferred)
- 1/2 small red onion (chopped)
- 1 medium celery (chopped)
- 1 medium garlic clove (minced)
- 2 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 15.5 oz. canned, no-salt-added Great Northern beans (rinsed, drained)
- 14.5 oz. canned, no-salt-added, diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 tsp. dried oregano (crumbled)
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme (crumbled)
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Tip: Serving size 1 cup
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the onion, celery, and garlic for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the onion and celery are soft.
- 2 Stir in the broth, beans, tomatoes with liquid, oregano, thyme, and red pepper flakes. Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes so the flavors blend.
- 3 Stir in the spinach. Simmer, covered, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the spinach is wilted.
- 4 Just before serving, sprinkle the soup with the Parmesan.
This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Go Red For Women movement. Recipe copyright © 2016 by the American Heart Association. Look for other delicious recipes in American Heart Association cookbooks, available from booksellers everywhere or online at heart.org/cookbooks..
|Total Fat||2.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
1/2 lean meat, 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Tuscan Bean Soup has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box