Egg "Muffin" Cups with Turkey Sausage and Mushrooms
Make these egg muffin cups during the weekend and freeze or refrigerate for quick, to-go breakfasts all week long.
- 1/2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 1, (8-ounce) package sliced white mushrooms
- 1 (6.4-ounce) package frozen cooked turkey sausage links, thawed and chopped
- 1 3/4 cup liquid egg substitute
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded, fat-free Cheddar cheese
Cooking Tip: Place the muffin tin on a baking sheet before adding into the oven to cook will make sure any spillage goes to the baking sheet versus dirtying the oven. It's a good trick to use in this recipe and others.
Keep it Healthy: When wanting to convert a recipe from eggs to liquid egg substitute, the general rule is to use 1/4 cup egg substitute per 1 egg.
Tip: Using a muffin tin instantly makes a recipe more portable. Think meatloaf muffins, which can be packed for lunches, or granola cups or oatmeal for more instant breakfasts.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- 2 In a medium nonstick pan, warm oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and mushrooms, stirring occasionally and sauteing until soft, about 10 minutes.
- 3 Meanwhile, warm the turkey sausage according to package directions. Chop into small pieces. When onion and mushroom mixture is cooked, remove from heat and stir in the sausage. Using a spoon, divide mixture evenly between each muffin cup.
- 4 In small bowl, add egg substitute, skim milk, and pepper. Whisk together with a fork. Pour egg mixture into the muffin pan, again evenly dividing mixture into each muffin cup. Top each cup with cheddar cheese.
- 5 Bake in the preheated oven until eggs are set, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Use a knife to go around the edges of each egg muffin to remove it from pan. Serve.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program.
|Total Fat||4.4 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.4 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||0.7 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||6.1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0.9 g|
|Added Sugars||0 g|
1 other carbohydrate, 3 low-fat milk
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Egg "Muffin" Cups with Turkey Sausage and Mushrooms has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box