Take-a-Break Snack Mix
Whether your schedule is go-go-go or hurry-up-and-wait, you’ll be glad you packed these tasty tidbits for healthy snacking.
- non-stick Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup sliced, unsalted, unoiled almonds
- 1 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. water
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 cup whole-grain oat cereal with yogurt-flavored coating
- 2 cup whole-grain wheat and bran flakes with raisins
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, dried blueberries
Tip: 1/2 cups per serving
Tip: For variety, substitute different nutrient-dense dried fruits, such as cherries, apricots, and plums, for the cranberries and blueberries. Cut them into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces before adding them to the cereal mixture.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Put a piece of aluminum foil about 12 inches square on a platter or baking sheet. Lightly spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- 2 n a small nonstick skillet, dry-roast the almonds over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until lightly golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- 3 Stir in the brown sugar, water, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the liquid has evaporated and the almonds are coated with the mixture, stirring constantly. Transfer to the foil. Let cool completely, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 4 Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the remaining ingredients.
- 5 Add the cooled almonds to the cereal mixture, stirring to combine. Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association’s Food Certification Program.
© 2008 by the American Heart Association.
|Total Fat||2.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||28 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
1 fruit, 1 starch
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Take-a-Break Snack Mix has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box