Trout with Skillet-Roasted Peppers
No need to slow-roast poblano peppers to get deep flavor. All it takes is quickly cooking them in a hot skillet and letting them steep a bit.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (divided use)
- 2 medium poblano peppers (seeds and ribs discarded, thinly sliced)
- 5 oz. grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes (about 1 cup), halved
- 1 clove fresh, minced garlic
- 1-2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. salt, divided use
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- paprika to taste
- 4 fillet, rinsed, patted dry trout or any other thin mild fish fillets (about 4 ounces each)
- 1 medium cut lime, cut into 8 wedges
Tip: 3 ounces fish and 1/3 cup pepper mixture per serving
Cooking Tip: Squeezing lime wedges over both the fish and the topping “lifts” and defines the flavors of the various ingredients. If you aren’t a true lime lover, though, you may want to skip the second spritzing.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the peppers for 4 to 6 minutes, or until beginning to richly brown on the edges, stirring frequently.
- 2 Gently stir in the tomatoes. Cook for 2 minutes, or until soft, stirring gently and frequently. Remove from the heat.
- 3 Gently stir in the garlic, vinegar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Transfer to a small bowl. Cover to keep warm.
- 4 In the same skillet, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Sprinkle the pepper, paprika, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt over both sides of the fish. Cook for 3 minutes on each side, or until the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Transfer to a platter.
- 5 To serve, squeeze 4 lime wedges over the fish. Spoon the poblano mixture on top. Serve with the remaining lime wedges to squeeze over the poblano mixture if desired.
This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association’s Face the Fats campaign.
© 2009 by the American Heart Association
|Total Fat||7.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||4.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|
1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Trout with Skillet-Roasted Peppers has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box