Tuna Salad with Pico de Gallo
This Simple Cooking with Heart recipe gives a spicy kick to your basic can of tuna, not to mention a serving of heart-healthy fish and a couple of servings of vegetables!
- 13 oz. canned, reduced-sodium tuna, packed in water, (2 6.5-ounce cans), drained
- 2 medium tomatoes (diced) OR
- 14.5 oz. canned, no-salt-added, diced tomatoes, (1 can)
- 1 green jalapeño pepper, (can use half to reduce spiciness), seeded, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion (finely chopped)
- juice of 1 lemon or lime
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (fresh, or, from jar, minced)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 head romaine or other lettuce, separated into leaves, washed
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced into wedges, 6 per tomato
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and cut into quarter-inch rounds
Tip: You can use any water-packed bonito, skip jack or tuna for this salad. Chunk light tuna can be more affordable than albacore tuna . This salad will keep in the refrigerator for a day or two.
Tip: Try serving this over finely chopped green cabbage or mixed salad greens, in a sandwich or wrap, or with an avocado and tomato salad.
Tip: You can add some dried chile de arbol to your pico de gallo for more Latin spice.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Put drained tuna into a bowl and break up the fish using the back of a fork.
- 2 Pico de gallo: In a glass or ceramic bowl combine the diced tomato, chopped jalapeño pepper, chopped onion, juice of lemon or lime, garlic, red onion, minced garlic and black pepper.
- 3 Combine the tuna with the pico de gallo.
- 4 To assemble each serving, place 2-3 leaves of the washed and separated lettuce on each plate and scoop the tuna salad with pico de gallo onto the lettuce leaves.
- 5 Arrange the sliced tomatoes and cucumbers on the plate and serve.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||3.6 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.9 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.4 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||0.8 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||15 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|
3 vegetable, 3 lean meat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Tuna Salad with Pico de Gallo has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box