Kid-Friendly Cottage Cheese Very Blueberry Pancakes
Simple Cooking with Heart these American, good-for-you blueberry pancakes made with cottage cheese your kids can help make.
- 3 large egg whites OR
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup 33 percent less sodium cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1, 12-oz. packaged, frozen blueberries (with liquid), thawed
- Cooking spray
Cooking Tip: Not over-mixing the pancake batter is the key to light and fluffy pancakes. Some small lumps in a pancake batter are a okay because it means you haven’t over-mixed.
Keep it Healthy: Before you grab the syrup bottle, try these first! They’re so moist we don’t think you’ll need any. If you do add syrup, keep it light by adding just one tablespoon.
Tip: Using a nonstick pan to cook food like pancakes, along with cooking spray, helps keep your pancakes from sticking.
Tip: Use the liquid from the thawed frozen blueberries to make the pancakes a fun blue color. Fresh blueberries will be just as tasty but may not make the pancakes as vibrant blue.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Let kids crack eggs into a medium bowl. Then, let them measure and add cottage cheese and milk into the bowl, using a spoon to mix wet ingredients together.
- 2 Let kids measure and add the dry ingredients of flour, baking soda, and sugar into the wet ingredients. Have them stir with a spoon just until ingredients are combined—having some lumps is ok.
- 3 Let kids gently stir in blueberries into the batter.
- 4 Spray a large nonstick pan with cooking spray and warm over medium-high heat. Portion ¼ cup amounts of batter into the pan—adding 3 to 4 pancakes without overcrowding. When bubbles appear on the edges of each pancake after about 2-3 minutes, flip over with spatula and slightly flatten each pancake with the back of a spatula. Cook until that side is browned, another 2-3 minutes.
- 5 Transfer cooked pancakes to a plate. Continue making pancakes with remaining batter, coating the pan with cooking spray between each batch, until all the batter has been used. Serve pancakes.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||5.3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.6 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.3 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.7 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||37 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|
1 fruit, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 starch
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Kid-Friendly Cottage Cheese Very Blueberry Pancakes has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box