Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Soup
Using pre-cut ingredients like sliced white mushrooms and a bag of frozen stir-fry mix makes this Simple Cooking with Heart recipe a cinch to put together in the morning before work.
- 2 lb. boneless large chicken breasts (aim for 2 breasts, 1 pound each)
- 14.4 oz. packaged onion and pepper stir-fry mix
- 16 oz. packaged white mushrooms
- 1/2 (13.5-ounce) can lite coconut milk
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1/4 tsp. red hot chile flakes
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 10 oz. packaged, frozen peas
- 1/2 cups fresh basil or cilantro leaves
- 4 oz. roughly chopped, broken raw rice vermicelli noodles
- Asian hot sauce like Sriracha, to serve, optional
Keep it Healthy: While a little harder to find, substitute brown rice vermicelli for the rice vermicelli noodles if you can find them
Cooking Tip: When using a slow cooker, make sure the ingredient that needs to be cooked the most (like meat) is placed on the bottom, closest to the heat source.
Tip: Buying a container of already-squeezed lemon or lime juice is a more cost-effective way of using citrus juice in recipes versus freshly-squeezed juice.
Tip: Serving size 2 cups
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Place chicken into the bottom of a large slow cooker. Add stir-fry mix and mushrooms on top of the chicken; pour coconut milk and chicken stock over the entire mixture. Cover with lid and let mixture cook on high heat for 4 hours or on low heat for 8 hours until chicken is tender.
- 2 When about to serve, turn the heat to high if it’s on low. Use tongs to transfer chicken to a bowl. Into the slow cooker, stir in lime juice, chile flakes, salt, pepper, peas, basil, and vermicelli noodles, making sure the noodles are mostly submerged in the liquid. Cover slow cooker with lid and cook until noodles have softened, about 20 minutes.
- 3 Meanwhile, carefully transfer hot chicken to a cutting board and cut into bite-sized pieces. Stir back into the soup. Ladle soup into bowls and serve with hot sauce, if desired.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||6.1 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.9 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.2 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||30 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
5 lean meat, 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Soup has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box