Crunchy Cabbage Salad with Spicy Peanut Dressing
This addictive American cabbage salad side dish recipe from Simple Cooking with Heart has a zing from jalapenos along with a double-duty peanut power - a peanut butter-infused dressing and a sprinkling of peanuts throughout it. Serve for dinner or bring along for a cookout.
- 3 Tbsp reduced-fat, smooth peanut butter
- 4 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp water
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 Tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 jalapeño (finely chopped)
- 1 red or green bell pepper (quartered, thinly sliced)
- 3 green onions or scallions, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 1 (14-ounce) bag classic cole slaw mix
- 1/4 cup chopped, unsalted peanuts
Tip: Serving size 1 cup
Cooking Tip: Jalapenos vary tremendously in spiciness. It’s always safer to take a little taste of the jalapeno before adding the entire pepper. Also, remove the seeds to lessen the spiciness.
Keep it Healthy: This cabbage salad is like a slaw without the mayo. A vinegar and oil base instead of mayonnaise can also be used to trim the calories of other picnic salads like potato salad and macaroni salad.
Tip: To substitute fresh vegetables for the cole slaw mix, use 1 cup grated carrots plus 5 cups thinly sliced cabbage.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a large bowl, add peanut butter, vinegar, hot water, honey, salt, and pepper. Finely chop the jalapeno, seeding it for a less spicy salad. Add jalapeno into the bowl. Use a whisk or fork to combine until dressing is smooth.
- 2 Quarter the bell pepper, removing and discarding the seeds. Thinly slice the bell pepper and chop the scallions. Add both into the bowl, along with the cole slaw mix.
- 3 Use tongs or a spatula to fully combine the vegetables with the dressing. Chop peanuts and sprinkle over the salad. Let sit a few minutes for flavors to absorb. Serve.
Copyright © 2017 American Heart Association.
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:Purchase Cooking in Color Copyright © 2017 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood Every purchase helps fund the work of the AHA/ASA.
|Total Fat||6.3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.8 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||3.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
1 vegetable, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Crunchy Cabbage Salad with Spicy Peanut Dressing has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box