Broccoli Salad with Water Chestnuts and Dried Cranberries
The acid in the red wine vinegar breaks down the broccoli, softening it so there’s no need to cook it. in this no-cook, American side dish from Simple Cooking with Heart.
- 7 cups chopped broccoli florets (from about 2 heads broccoli)
- 1 cup grated broccoli stem (also from those same 2 heads broccoli)
- 2 (5-ounce) cans sliced water chestnuts (drained)
- 1/3 cup dried, unsweetened cranberries
- 3 Tbsp canola oil
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Tip: Serving size 2 cups
Cooking Tip: Since the broccoli florets are “cooking” in the acidic dressing, cut the florets as small as possible so the acid makes the broccoli soften quicker.
Keep it Healthy: Any time a recipe calls for broccoli florets, grate the stem to use as well. You are bulking up the nutrition of your recipe with an item that normally would just be tossed.
Tip: Don’t have red wine vinegar? Just substitute lemon juice.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Remove and reserve the stalks from the broccoli. Chop broccoli florets into bite-size pieces. Add into a large zip-top bag with water chestnuts and dried cranberries.
- 2 Place a box grater inside a small bowl. Grate the stalks to get around 1 cup of grated broccoli stem (or more depending on how big the stalks are). Add into the bag.
- 3 In a small bowl, add oil, vinegar, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Whisk with a fork to combine. Add dressing into the zip-top bag. Seal the bag and gently toss to combine. Refrigerate for at least an hour and up to 24 hours to let the broccoli marinate in the dressing. Serve.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.9 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||3.2 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||6.7 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||20 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g|
3 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 2 fat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Broccoli Salad with Water Chestnuts and Dried Cranberries has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box