Simple Cooking with Heart brings you this Louisiana style dinner that's lightened up so it's heart healthy but still hearty enough to please any Southern or Cajun food lover.
- 14.5 oz canned, no-salt added or low-sodium, diced tomatoes
- 16 oz frozen gumbo-mix vegetables (thawed) OR
- 16 oz frozen okra (choose plain frozen vegetables with no seasonings or sauces.)
- 15 1/4 oz canned, no-salt-added or low-sodium whole kernel corn (drained, rinsed)
- 3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cup shredded chicken from half of a rotisserie chicken OR
- shredded chicken (from Easy Oven Baked Chicken Breasts recipe)
- 15.5 oz canned, no-salt-added or low-sodium butter beans (drained, rinsed)
- 2-3 tsp salt-free Cajun spice blend
- 8.8 oz packaged, cooked brown rice (lowest sodium available)
Keep it Healthy: Cajun spice blends pack a ton of salt, so always opt for salt-free.
Cooking Tip: When rice is added to soup or stews, always add into the bowl right before eating. Otherwise, the rice soaks up a lot of the soup’s liquid.
Tip: The heat level on Cajun spice blends varies from brand to brand. Always start on the low range, adding just 1 teaspoon and taste before you add more.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a large pot, add tomatoes, vegetables, corn, chicken broth, chicken, butter beans, and Cajun spice blend.
- 2 Bring gumbo to a boil over high heat. Cover with lid; lower the heat to medium or low so gumbo is simmering. Let cook 15 minutes.
- 3 Warm rice in the microwave without adding any salt or seasonings. Serve gumbo in bowls with rice.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||5.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||64 g|
|Dietary Fiber||10 g|
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Chicken Gumbo has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box