Chicken Zucchini Enchiladas
Scoop out the seeds from zucchinis and use them as "boats" for a new spin on enchiladas. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro, sliced green onion or low-fat sour cream, if desired. Pair with a slide of low-sodium black or pinto beans.
- 2 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 1 Tbsp whole-wheat flour
- 6 oz canned, no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar blend
- Cooking spray
- 4 medium zucchini (thoroughly washed)
- 1/2 medium white or yellow onion (diced)
- 2 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 medium bell pepper (any color) diced
- 2 Tbsp chopped, fresh cilantro
- 2 boneless, skinless, all visible fat discarded chicken breasts (cooked, shredded)
- 1/4 cup low-fat, shredded Cheddar cheese
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Coat a large skillet with cooking spray. On medium heat, add in flour and stir until smooth.
- 2 Gradually, stir in tomato paste, broth, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder and brown sugar blend.
- 3 Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, approximately 5-10 minutes.
- 1 Preheat oven to 400.
- 2 Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- 3 Slice zucchinis in half lengthwise. Using a small spoon or melon baller, scoop out seeds and flesh of zucchini, leaving walls of the zucchini about ¼ inch thick. Rough chop the zucchini scrapings and set aside in a small bowl.
- 4 Coat large skillet with cooking spray. On medium heat, add onion, garlic, bell pepper and jalapeno, if desired, to the skillet, and cook 3-5 minutes until onions become translucent.
- 5 Add chopped zucchini, cilantro, and chicken and cook about 3 more minutes, until zucchini is tender.
- 6 Place the zucchini boats in the sprayed 9x13 baking dish, cut-side facing up. Spoon a light coating of enchilada sauce over each zucchini boat.
- 7 Spoon chicken mixture in to zucchinis, dividing equally among the eight boats.
- 8 Spoon remaining enchilada sauce over chicken mixture, dividing equally among the eight boats.
- 9 Sprinkle cheese over enchiladas and bake in preheated over for 40-45 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchinis are cooked through.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||12.1 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.4 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||3.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||5.7 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||23 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
|Added Sugars||25 g|
3 vegetable, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Chicken Zucchini Enchiladas has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box