Slow Cooker Panang Curry with Chicken and Cauliflower Rice
This rich curry dish that marries chicken and loads of vegetables with coconut milk, makes a trip to Thailand as close as your slow cooker – 20 minutes of prep, and 4 hours later your entire home will be smelling exotic. Riced cauliflower creates a nutrient rich addition to this dish to soak up the curry sauce.
- 2 Tbsp. no-calorie sweetener, granulated, 3 packets
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1-3 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (based on desired spiciness)
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, diced
- 3 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (all visible fat discarded, cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 medium sweet potato (peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes) OR
- 1 1/2 cups butternut squash (peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 14.5 oz. canned, diced, no-salt-added tomatoes (undrained)
- 6 oz. canned, no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup canned, unsweetened, light coconut milk
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves (thinly sliced) OR
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil
- Cooking spray
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped, fresh parsley OR
- 2 tsp. dried parsley
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In small bowl, combine no-calorie sweetener, curry powder, cumin, coriander and red pepper flakes. Stir gently and set aside.
- 2 Add to slow cooker: onion, garlic, chicken, sweet potato, broccoli, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, water, and coconut milk.
- 3 Sprinkle spice mixture and basil over the mixture in the slow cooker.
- 4 Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours or high heat for 4 hours. Gently mix and serve over Cauliflower Rice.
- 5 Top with torn fresh basil leaves, sliced jalapeno or lime wedges, if desired.
- 1 Cut the cauliflower in to florets. In batches, add cauliflower to food processor (or blender) and gently pulse until cauliflower becomes the texture of rice. Be careful not to over-pulse.
- 2 Coat large skillet with cooking spray and add cauliflower, salt and pepper. Sautee over medium heat for 5 minutes until cauliflower is tender, stirring occasionally.
- 3 Top with chopped parsley.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||6.3 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.2 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||39 g|
|Dietary Fiber||10 g|
5 vegetable, 1 starch, 3 lean meat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Slow Cooker Panang Curry with Chicken and Cauliflower Rice has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box