Black-Eyed Pea Salad
This Simple Cooking with Heart, Southern-American salad has a little bit of everything: the protein power of black-eyed peas, the crunch of cucumbers, and the sweetness of bell peppers, all in a cumin-spiked dressing.
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 medium cucumber (peeled, chopped)
- 1 zucchini (grated)
- 1 bell pepper (seeded, chopped)
- 2 medium tomatoes (chopped)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 15.5 oz canned, no-salt-added or low-sodium black-eyed peas (drained, rinsed)
- 15.5 oz canned, no-salt-added or low-sodium whole kernel corn (drained, rinsed)
Tip: Serving size 1 cup
Cooking Tip: Draining and rinsing canned goods helps remove any excess sodium.
Keep it Healthy: Legumes like black-eyed peas add both protein and fiber to a dish. To increase your intake of them, incorporate black beans, kidney beans, cannellini beans, and others into dips, soups, salads, and stews more often.
Tip: Want to bulk up this salad to make into an entrée? Simply stir in 1 or 2 (8.8-ounce) packages of fully-cooked brown rice. This nutrient-packed whole grain will make this salad more filling for an entrée status.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a large bowl, add oil, vinegar, garlic powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Use a fork to whisk to combine.
- 2 Prepare all the vegetables and add each to the bowl: peel and chop the cucumber; grate the zucchini on a box grater; chop the bell pepper, tomatoes, and onion.
- 3 Drain and rinse the canned black-eyed peas and corn. Add into the bowl and stir to combine all the ingredients. Serve.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||7.6 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||4.4 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||22 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 fat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Black-Eyed Pea Salad has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box